Monday 3 December 2012

breakthrough

I am over the moon to be writing this post... It's something I've been waiting for, wishing for, all year... sleep - glorious, uninterrupted, deep-enough-to-actually-dream kinda sleep... for more than a couple of hours at a time.

At the risk of jinxing it, I've held off sharing my excitement until now - but after 10 days straight, I think it's safe (fingers crossed) to say my little darling has finally mastered it.. oh joy!!

Such a big change - one day I have to feed and rock her to sleep, until she is totally out cold before lifting her in to the cot as gently as possible, often taking a few attempts - the next, I am miraculously able to sit her in her cot, wide awake, and walk out of her room without protest (sometimes even with a smile and little wave)...A few loving strokes to her cheek, a kiss good night and a reassuring whisper "sleepy time" is all that is needed, before she curls up contentedly, settling herself to sleep within only a couple of minutes.

Gob. Smacked.

I can only assume she has taken an almighty developmental leap - she suddenly understands that I am not abandoning her, and in place of that awful separation anxiety she now feels safe and secure, able to drift off peacefully on her own.  Something has clicked in that sprouting mind of hers, and we both are benefiting immensely.

As thrilled as I am though, there is a small part of me that is sad to see the end of this chapter - I have really treasured the quiet, closeness of nursing and comforting Matilda during the night, just she and I cosied up in the darkness of her room.   As much as I have hoped, wished for this miracle of sleep to arrive, it's also hard to accept in some ways that my baby doesn't need me that way she once did.
They grow too fast!!

Matilda is happier, more confident and curious as ever, so the quality sleep is obviously doing her the world of good.  Next mission is to tackle that fussy aversion to breakfast in the morning, and she will officially be perfect!

*photo taken this morning at breaky...lately eggs are normally thrown on the floor in an instant - however I've discovered that if I leave the egg whole, and give her a container to place it in between bites, she'll happily devour the entire thing!! everything has to be a game I guess??

1 comment: