Tuesday 18 December 2012

tenderness

Lately I've spoken a lot about the many remarkable and rapid leaps in Tilly's development, mainly in relation to movement & motor skills, as well as the recent life-changing ability to self-sooth and settle herself to sleep. 
These are all milestones as a parent I have been anticipating - little graduations all the books prepare you for and encourage...signals that your little one is becoming less little by the day.

So lots of boxes have been ticked these past couple of months, and of course I could not be more proud... I am ever awestruck at how truly amazing these wee creatures are - the most curious of sponges; observing, absorbing, contemplating and learning from absolutely everything around them, and all that we as their companions do.

This is why the latest revelation has really taken me by surprise, in the most lovely way - a change in Tilly's behaviour I wasn't expecting, a gift that has nourished me as a mama more than she will ever know...

Affection. 

Over the past couple of weeks, this little lady has become quite the little nurturer.  She lunges at me unexpectedly for big, bear-hug cuddles, strokes my back tenderly when I carry her on my hip, leans in of her own accord to plant delicate mmmmming-kisses on my cheek.  
Just today, I hurt my back and had lie down on the floor to rest a while - without a word, she curled up beside me, rested her head on my tummy and patted my hand - almost in sympathy. 

The funny thing is, after sharing my experiences with friends, it seems as though their little people too began showering them with affection around this age... What a monumental leap the books have neglected here!

As a mamas we are forever giving and showing love to our children, partners, families...we are nurturers instinctively.

I didn't realise how much I was in need of affection until Matilda began to show me.  Sweet tokens of appreciation expressed in her own way - simple but beautiful gestures that revive and fulfil me beyond measure.

So thank you darling girl, for loving me as I love you.

*photo taken when Tilly was 3 weeks old - newborn skin so delicate, touch her strongest sense

No comments:

Post a Comment