Monday 1 October 2012

Preparations...


We have a lot to do over the next 2 weeks... fragiles need to be wrapped, boxes need to be filled, and surfaces need to be scrubbed.

It's been a long wait, but we are finally preparing to make the move in to a home of our very own - a cosy little abode that ticked all the boxes, and felt like home the instant we first visited.

So this week will see me de-cluttering, donating and packing up all our bits and bobs - making my way through each cupboard and drawer carefully, the ritual cleanse of each prior move.
It always feels good to shed the excess, and makes unpacking at the other end all the more tolerable. I actually find the methodical rhythm of packing itself quite enjoyable, calming...this time though, I will have a curious and determined Toddler hovering around my ankles, who will no doubt attempt to unpack boxes as quickly as I fill them.

The added horror that is vacating a rental though, is the dreaded final clean before inspection - when you are so exhausted from the move itself, but have to return to the empty nest and dust out every nook and cranny.
We are neat people the Boy and I, but the house is old and the yard is wild, so we are bracing ourselves for a mammoth task ahead - and what is sure to be a painfully tedious inspection with the Agent, who to date seems insistent on making the whole process as inconvenient as possible.

When moments of fatigue and frustration appear, I will just have to remind myself to pause, take a deep breath, and look toward the golden prize waiting at the other end - Home
I already have a few little projects dreamt up for the new space - plans for making our mark.  There will be trips to Pialligo for Jasmine, Bunnings for sample pots  - and what better reason to visit the new Ikea @ Tempe?! 
I'm also really looking forward to setting up Tilly's nursery all over again - being able to hang pictures exactly where I want them (as opposed to wherever the previous tenant had already nailed the wall), erect some shelves and finally string some twinkle lights to keep her company in the dark.  Possibilities, possibilities...

Yes, lots to look forward to once the Big Move is done.

Wish me luck!


4 comments:

  1. Hello!
    I've just found out that I am doing the Advent Xmas Swap with you! I am so excited to be doing this swap, this is my first time doing something like this.
    Love your blog, it is so pretty so I am now following along!
    Enjoy the rest of your week,
    Sarah xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there - lovely to 'meet' you! I am super excited for the swap too - its the first Advent one I've done, so should be fun.. Can't wait to collect bits and bobs for you and wrap them all up...Was going to ask you - did you have a budget in mind for the Xmas Day gift? xxx

      Delete
  2. That tea set is a beauty. Good luck with the move. Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my most treasured possessions - given to me as a house warming gift from a dear friends mum! The generosity of some people astounds me sometimes! Many thanks for your sweet comments, its lovely to have you here :)

      Delete