Monday 24 September 2012

a little bit of magic...



Weekend before last, my wonderful Mum took my sister, Matilda and I on a little day trip - an expedition in to the countryside, to invest in some quality Christmas decorations for the upcoming festive season.

My Mum has always been big on Christmas - not only being extremely generous in the gifting department, but on all the magic and whimsy that comes with it.  For as long as I can remember, it has always the tradition to watch Carols by Candlelight together as a family on Christmas Eve - we light the candles, cosy up the couch and munch on a feast of naughty treats, enjoying each others company and the merriment of the show.  Even as a child, Christmas Eve was my favourite part - no doubt because of all those special and loving touches Mum would create, building excitement and wonder at what lay ahead the coming morning. We were spoilt rotten that is for sure...

This year, Mum is determined to ensure that sense of Christmas magic and tradition is passed on to her grandchildren - so she bustled us up in the car, and we set off to her favourite destination for all things Christmassy...Christmas Barn - located in the small, country town of Bredbo, a leisurely 45 minute drive from Canberra toward Cooma.

I must admit, I was sceptical setting out - the name Christmas Barn conjured up images of flashing neon lights, nasty spray-on snow, and gaudy decorations on mass...I was expecting racks of cheap and garish ornaments, and bargain bins of baubles - predicted I would be digging through mounds of tinsel, trying to find something unoffensive to take home and awkwardly display.

I could not have been more wrong.

What I found was nothing short of spectacular.  Truly - this place was magical, like nothing I had ever seen before...here in Australia, that is.
From the moment I entered the doors, basket in hand, I was absolutely blown away - and the expression of wonder on Matilda's face was just priceless.

The exceptionally clever people at Christmas Barn have worked wonders in that shop - displaying the ornate decorations in colour-schemed sections, or by theme - woodland creatures, lolly-land, white Christmas... Every available space was utilised - over-sized baubles dangled from the ceilings, the branches of every tree heavy with exquisitely detailed ornaments - and not a shred of tinsel in sight!

I went in desiring simple, neutral decos - nothing too bright or fancy.  I walked out with a basket of glitter - and I was tickled pink, just like a child on Christmas morning.
We spent over an hour perusing the displays, and carefully selecting pieces from the amazing collection - Matilda all the while sitting back in the pram, her eyes exploring each and every surface in amazement.

This is such a special place, it really is - and I fully intend to go back again before it gets too busy.. this time just for a peek, to see Matilda marvel at all that magic once more.


6 comments:

  1. Christmas. September. Nooooo! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know, scary early to be getting in the spirit.. But as I am using this little space as a journal, thought it best to write it down while the excitement was fresh :)

      Delete
  2. I love this! We just moved back to the UK from Australia earlier this year, so I am preparing myself for the onslaught that our first Christmas here will bring. My parents + my children = one mega Christmas day! I'm quite excited about the whole thing! x ps found you via the lovely oscarlucinda - hello!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there - lovely to have you! My husband and I lived in London for a couple of years, pre-baby, and spent one Christmas there.. If you are living in London, I can highly recommend the Borough Market for all sorts of Xmas yummiess - especially the 'Triple Bird'..This was a real crowd pleaser on the Big Day - a Turkey, stuffed with a Duck, stuffed with a Pheasant!! Sounds totally barbaric I know, but so, SO good! x

      Delete
  3. Thanks for stopping by and signing up for the Advent Swap
    your email is set up as 'no reply @ blogger' so I was unable to email you the questionnaire
    Please fill in and return to me catalinascottage@me.com


    Name:

    Address:

    Email Address:

    Blog Address:

    Colours you like:

    Colours you dislike:

    What type of sweets, candy, chocolate do you prefer:

    Are you allergic to anything:

    Are you a traditional or modern Christmas colours type of gal:

    What sort of crafting do you do:

    Do you collect anything in particular or like something in particular:

    What is your "style" eg. country, prim, modern, funky, fresh, crisp:

    Are you happy to post to New Zealand:

    ReplyDelete
  4. such GORGEOUS photos ♥ christmas

    ReplyDelete